What’s your why for simplifying?
- More time?
- Money freedom?
- Less stress?
- All of the above?
I don’t believe that just decluttering your stuff will make your life simpler and more peaceful, but I do believe it’s the best place to start. Our belongings cover up the life we want. It takes up our time, our mental capacity, our finances. Stuff causes us stress and keeps us from thinking clearly and taking action on the things we want.
If you feel overwhelmed in your home, if you look around and don’t know where to start, you’re not alone!
Your stuff might be holding you back. There’s not an ideal number of belongings, like 5 pairs of socks, and 6 cups. It’s about finding the right amount for you.
How do you know what that amount is?
Ask yourself these questions:
- How do you want your house to feel?
- How much clutter can you have before you feel anxious or overwhelmed?
- How much stuff can you and do you want to manage?
- How big is your space?
Don’t think as much about how your home looks as you do about how it feels.
We live in a world where more is often seen as better.
- We don’t just buy one Lego set, we buy tubs of legos on Craigslist.
- We don’t buy a box of 24 crayons, we buy the mega box with 24 shades of blue.
- We’re conditioned to buy 3 or something because the tag says 3 for 5.
- We buy things because they’re on sale without giving any thought to why we need it.
On top of our consumption, we keep it all “just in case” we need it in the future. And it all just keeps piling up.
In this episode of The Simple Home Podcast, I talk through 3 things you can do today to make a big impact when you’re decluttering your stuff.
Today, choose 1 of the three decluttering action steps to tackle, take a snap shot of you listening to this episode, tag me on IG (@jennaarvidson), and tell me which one you chose!
Links From this Episode
- How Minimalism Benefits Parents and Why It’s so Important
- Why Minimalism is so Important for Kids
- The Simple Home Decluttering Challenge
If this episode inspired you in some way, please take a minute to leave a rating and review on itunes. Use this link, click the 5 starts, and write a short review of the show!
Find this episode of The Simple Home Podcast and others you’ll love on your favorite podcast player, iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, and TuneIn or anywhere else you listen to podcasts! Remember to subscribe on your favorite podcast player so you don’t miss an episode.